Definition of cotyledon in English:
- The cotyledons are the ‘seed leaves’ produced by the embryo.
- However, protein biosynthesis in the axis organs and cotyledons of dicotyledonous seeds commences much earlier.
- Mutants of this class display shortened hypocotyls and small cotyledons after irradiation of seed.
- Example sentences
- Three chlorophyll readings were made and averaged on the middle leaflet of the first trifoliate of soybean, the second true leaf of lettuce (counting up from the cotyledonary leaves) and the second leaf of wheat.
- Seedlings at the vegetative cotyledonary stage, about 7-10 days old, were transplanted into plastic pots containing the same medium.
- Further development of cotyledonary embryo showing closed vascular system and characteristic cotyledonary notches.
Mid 16th century (denoting a patch of villi on the placenta of mammals): from Latin, 'navelwort' (which has cup-shaped leaves), from Greek kotulēdōn 'cup-shaped cavity', from kotulē 'cup'.
Words that rhyme with cotyledoncedarn, dicotyledon, Eden, monocotyledon, Sweden
Definition of cotyledon in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.