- An ungainly long-tailed Old World bird that is a large ground-dwelling member of the cuckoo family.
More example sentences
- Genus Centropus (and Coua), family Cuculidae: numerous species, including the Australasian pheasant coucal (Centropus phasianinus)
- However, I stray from the purpose of our trip: birds, which were no less alluring than all the scenes mentioned above, with names such as leafbirds, bulbuls, coucals, laughingthrushes, babblers, sunbirds and junglefowl.
- A ground-dwelling cuckoo, Delalande's coucal lived in Madagascar, off the east coast of Africa, along with an array of strange animals found there.
early 19th century: from French, perhaps a blend of coucou 'cuckoo' and alouette 'lark'.
More definitions of coucalDefinition of coucal in:
- The US English dictionary