- 1 North American term for puma.More example sentences
- Their predators include great horned owls, bobcats, cougars, coyotes, and foxes, so wariness is in their blood.
- This was not an African lion but an American mountain lion also known as a cougar or puma, a cat the size of a leopard that was once rare and considered virtually harmless.
- Since the early 1990s, researchers have been applying the technique to spectacled bears, cougars, foxes, pine martens, chimpanzees, gorillas, and many other species.
- 2 • informal An older woman seeking a sexual relationship with a younger man.More example sentences
- I met a few cougars at the Baron on Main on Friday night.
- I'm much more relaxed if a girl starts the conversation, and usually only cougars will go and hit on guys.
- It would seem that Brad's mom Paula (Sissy Spacek, Carrie) is also quite the cougar.
late 18th century: from French couguar, abbreviation of modern Latin cuguarcarana, from Guarani guaçuarana.
More definitions of cougarDefinition of cougar in:
- The US English dictionary