Definition of coulee in English:
1A short flow of viscous lava.
- The remaining magma as lava domes and coulees was extruded with some associated subplinian or vulcanian explosive activity.
- The bulk of the T2 magma is represented by the lava domes and coulees, which are the most evolved.
- The late-stage lava coulees and domes are most evolved.
2North American A deep ravine.
- It has rolling hills, valleys, ravines and coulees, ideal for stalking.
- I also do not expect the flood pathway stories to tell that the flood eroded, in several days, 50 cubic miles of basalt and silt that resulted in deep vertical-walled coulees with flat bottoms.
- The badlands are significant due to the plethora of fossils and dinosaur bones that have been recovered in the slowly eroding hoodoos, narrow valleys and bone-dry coulees.
Early 19th century: from French coulée '(lava) flow', from couler 'to flow', from Latin colare 'to strain or flow', from colum 'strainer'.
Definition of coulee in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.