Definition of counter-intuitive in English:
Contrary to intuition or to common-sense expectation: this explanation sounds perversely counter-intuitive computer analyses have in the past produced a number of counter-intuitive results
More example sentences
- I must confess that most of my readers have found my argument utterly counter-intuitive and contrary to their personal experience.
- Instead, what Harford has done is convey the excitement, the power, and the often counter-intuitive results of economic thought.
- And what we're finding which is especially curious, is that the results are counter-intuitive.
- Example sentences
- Perhaps counter-intuitively, the most comprehensive study of the subject found that clients who were ordered to drug treatment by a judge were more likely to complete the program successfully than those who volunteered for treatment.
- Or, counter-intuitively, global warming could disrupt the North Atlantic Gulf Stream, thereby ushering in another Ice Age and giving Provence a Siberian climate.
- What the President has done in this package is move much closer to a world where we tax capital less, enabling, perhaps counter-intuitively, all of us to have higher wages.
Definition of counter-intuitive in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan