Definition of counter-intuitive in English:
Contrary to intuition or to common-sense expectation: this explanation sounds perversely counter-intuitive computer analyses have in the past produced a number of counter-intuitive results
More example sentences
- I must confess that most of my readers have found my argument utterly counter-intuitive and contrary to their personal experience.
- Instead, what Harford has done is convey the excitement, the power, and the often counter-intuitive results of economic thought.
- And what we're finding which is especially curious, is that the results are counter-intuitive.
- counter-intuitively adverb
- Example sentences
- Perhaps counter-intuitively, the most comprehensive study of the subject found that clients who were ordered to drug treatment by a judge were more likely to complete the program successfully than those who volunteered for treatment.
- Or, counter-intuitively, global warming could disrupt the North Atlantic Gulf Stream, thereby ushering in another Ice Age and giving Provence a Siberian climate.
- What the President has done in this package is move much closer to a world where we tax capital less, enabling, perhaps counter-intuitively, all of us to have higher wages.
Definition of counter-intuitive in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.