Definition of counter-revolution in English:
A revolution opposing a former one or reversing its results: the monarch plans to put himself at the head of the enemies of the revolution to attempt a counter-revolution [mass noun]: the threat of successful counter-revolution
More example sentences
- The monarch plans to put himself at the head of the enemies of the revolution to attempt a counter-revolution.
- But as events played out the revolution failed and the counter-revolution soon set in.
- Marx also saw that to be successful the workers' revolution had to be able to defend itself against counter-revolution by capitalist and reactionary forces.
counter-revolutionary adjective& noun
- Example sentences
- The Soviet Union was an essentially counter-revolutionary state whose main interventions in the world were to subvert genuine revolutionary movements.
- At the time, the US was covertly backing the contras, the counter-revolutionaries who opposed the Sandinistas.
- Despite their counter-revolutionary stance and terrorist methods, these extremists had no doubt that they had right on their side.
Words that rhyme with counter-revolutionablution, absolution, allocution, attribution, circumlocution, circumvolution, Confucian, constitution, contribution, convolution, destitution, dilution, diminution, distribution, electrocution, elocution, evolution, execution, institution, interlocution, irresolution, Lilliputian, locution, perlocution, persecution, pollution, prosecution, prostitution, restitution, retribution, Rosicrucian, solution, substitution, volution
Definition of counter-revolution in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan