Definition of counterculture in English:
A way of life and set of attitudes opposed to or at variance with the prevailing social norm: the idealists of the 60s counterculture
More example sentences
- Right now the counterculture's online and mainstream culture's in space.
- Over the past two decades Almodóvar has moved from the counterculture to the mainstream.
- It should appeal to readers interested in social issues, psychology and the counterculture.
- Example sentences
- The word was first used by disillusioned American Democrats in the 1970s, when they rebelled against the countercultural leftists who had taken over their party.
- Any allegedly countercultural activity eventually comes full circle and the early adopters say ‘it's not how it used to be.’
- She drifted around the countercultural communities at Newbury, where she spent four months, and Faslane, where she joined the peace camp.
Words that rhyme with counterculturesubculture
Definition of counterculture in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.