Definition of counterculture in English:
A way of life and set of attitudes opposed to or at variance with the prevailing social norm: the idealists of the 60s counterculture
More example sentences
- Right now the counterculture's online and mainstream culture's in space.
- Over the past two decades Almodóvar has moved from the counterculture to the mainstream.
- It should appeal to readers interested in social issues, psychology and the counterculture.
- Example sentences
- The word was first used by disillusioned American Democrats in the 1970s, when they rebelled against the countercultural leftists who had taken over their party.
- Any allegedly countercultural activity eventually comes full circle and the early adopters say ‘it's not how it used to be.’
- She drifted around the countercultural communities at Newbury, where she spent four months, and Faslane, where she joined the peace camp.
Words that rhyme with counterculturesubculture
Definition of counterculture in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan