1A thing that connects two things, especially mechanical components or systems: a hydraulic coupler
More example sentences
- This dramatically reduces the materials needed, since it's easier to bend bars than to use mechanical couplers or splicing-in short bent sections that waste material.
- Hydraulic quick couplers can save time when switching attachments.
- It is perfect for storing paper towels to use to clean up hands or to wipe the dirt and grime from hydraulic couplers.
1.2 (also octave coupler) Music A device in an organ for connecting notes with their octaves above or below.
- Its principals, mixtures, reeds, and octave couplers could deliver enough power to wake the dead.
- According to the invention, an octave coupler effect is achieved by carrying out the following formula.
- Two additional octave couplers support the swell organ so that the tonal resources can be used to full advantage.
1.3 Photography A compound in a developer or an emulsion which combines with the products of development to form an insoluble dye, part of the image.
- It is a silver halide photographic material containing a magenta coupler and a compound that can break the aggregation of an azomethine dye.
- It is among his choices for an exhibition of chromogenic dye coupler prints that speaks of the alienation and introspection of travel.
1.4 (also acoustic coupler) A modem which converts digital signals from a computer into audible sound signals and vice versa, so that the former can be transmitted and received over telephone lines.
- This switching matrix has input ports, output ports and a passive optical core consisting of optical couplers.
- They also had an early 300-baud modem, replete with the coupler into which you had to put the phone receiver.
- You place the coupler like a mirror image against a telephone handset, strap it in place, plug the other end into your modem and dial.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: coup|ler
Definition of coupler in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.