Definition of coupler in English:
1A thing that connects two things, especially mechanical components or systems: a hydraulic coupler
More example sentences
- This dramatically reduces the materials needed, since it's easier to bend bars than to use mechanical couplers or splicing-in short bent sections that waste material.
- Hydraulic quick couplers can save time when switching attachments.
- It is perfect for storing paper towels to use to clean up hands or to wipe the dirt and grime from hydraulic couplers.
1.2 (also octave coupler) Music A device in an organ for connecting notes with their octaves above or below.
- Its principals, mixtures, reeds, and octave couplers could deliver enough power to wake the dead.
- According to the invention, an octave coupler effect is achieved by carrying out the following formula.
- Two additional octave couplers support the swell organ so that the tonal resources can be used to full advantage.
1.3 Photography A compound in a developer or an emulsion which combines with the products of development to form an insoluble dye, part of the image.
- It is a silver halide photographic material containing a magenta coupler and a compound that can break the aggregation of an azomethine dye.
- It is among his choices for an exhibition of chromogenic dye coupler prints that speaks of the alienation and introspection of travel.
1.4 (also acoustic coupler) A modem which converts digital signals from a computer into audible sound signals and vice versa, so that the former can be transmitted and received over telephone lines.
- This switching matrix has input ports, output ports and a passive optical core consisting of optical couplers.
- They also had an early 300-baud modem, replete with the coupler into which you had to put the phone receiver.
- You place the coupler like a mirror image against a telephone handset, strap it in place, plug the other end into your modem and dial.
Words that rhyme with couplersuckler
Definition of coupler in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan