Not deterred by danger or pain; brave: her courageous human rights work
More example sentences
- He suffered so much, and he was so brave, so courageous to fight it as long as he did.
- It's therefore a mystery how brave, courageous St George ever got to be the patron saint of England.
- He deserves everything, he was very brave and courageous and I know he would do it all again if he had to.
brave, plucky, fearless, valiant, valorous, intrepid, heroic, lionhearted, manful, bold, daring, daredevil, adventurous, audacious;
undaunted, unflinching, unshrinking, unafraid, dauntless, indomitable, doughty, mettlesome, venturesome, stout-hearted, stout, spirited, gallant, stalwart, resolute, determined, death-or-glory;
North American rock-ribbed
informal game, gutsy, spunky, ballsy, have-a-go
- Example sentences
- All the pictures show him with such courage and courageousness.
- I really don't want to dwell on it because I don't want to overshadow the courageousness of the way the team played.
- In my 40 years of coaching, I have never seen anything like this sort of courageousness.
Middle English: from Old French corageus, from corage (see courage).
Words that rhyme with courageousadvantageous, contagious, outrageous, rampageous
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: cour¦age|ous
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.