- A playing card that is a king, queen, or jack of a suit.More example sentences
- The court cards can only capture court cards of the same rank (for example: kings can only capture kings - they cannot capture a set of cards which add up to 13).
- The values of the cards are usually much the same: 5, 4, 3, 2 for the court cards in the suits; 5 for the 1 and 21 of trumps and the fool; and 1 for each other card.
- The pack of tarot cards consists of 78, usually highly illustrated cards. 22 major arcana cards are accompanied by 40 numbered cards in suits and 16 court cards.
mid 17th century: alteration of 16th-century coat card, so named because of the decorative dress of the figures depicted.
More definitions of court cardDefinition of court card in:
- The US English dictionary