Definition of court dress in English:
1 historical Formal clothing worn at a royal court.
- The Powell Street Gallery presents work by Chinese artist Di Lifeng which depicts solemn-eyed young women in the traditional court dress of the Qing Dynasty.
- The Manchu Qing dynasty codified court dress, reviving the twelve symbols of imperial authority and reserving yellow for the exclusive use of the emperor and empress.
- Trading her court dress for a more comfortable riding outfit, the Princess hurried to a stall that was familiar to her as her own room.
2Official clothing worn in a court of law by those in the legal profession.
- The Faculty of Advocates is currently experiencing such a confrontation, with a senior Queen's Counsel campaigning for the abolition of wigs as part of legal court dress.
- Wigs could become a thing of the past in English courtrooms under suggestions for modernising court dress.
Definition of court dress in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.