Definition of court dress in English:
1 historical Formal clothing worn at a royal court.
- The Powell Street Gallery presents work by Chinese artist Di Lifeng which depicts solemn-eyed young women in the traditional court dress of the Qing Dynasty.
- The Manchu Qing dynasty codified court dress, reviving the twelve symbols of imperial authority and reserving yellow for the exclusive use of the emperor and empress.
- Trading her court dress for a more comfortable riding outfit, the Princess hurried to a stall that was familiar to her as her own room.
2Official clothing worn in a court of law by those in the legal profession.
- The Faculty of Advocates is currently experiencing such a confrontation, with a senior Queen's Counsel campaigning for the abolition of wigs as part of legal court dress.
- Wigs could become a thing of the past in English courtrooms under suggestions for modernising court dress.
Definition of court dress in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan