- 1A type of North African semolina in granules made from crushed durum wheat.More example sentences
- There are lots of modest veggie dishes that I prepare for lunch or dinner, such as stuffed pepper with couscous, mushroom and coriander or a lump of Wensleydale on toast.
- I got plain white rice to soak up the stew, while my companion opted for attiéké, which is similar to North African couscous except that it's made with manioc instead of semolina.
- Other memorable dishes are eel with onions and raisins; couscous where the grain is barley, not wheat; and a vermicelli cooked in a rich and tasty sauce.
- 1.1A spicy dish made by steaming or soaking couscous and adding meat, vegetables, or fruit.More example sentences
- This spice mix has its origins in Tunisia and is used in couscous, meat dishes and some tagines.
- The lamb was accompanied by an eggplant caviar, curried Israeli couscous and crab apple almond salad.
- The veggie and non-veggie versions were identical, save for the beef in the meat couscous, and the vegetables included zucchini, carrot, cabbage and big beefy lima beans.
early 17th century: from French, from Arabic kuskus, from kaskasa 'to pound', probably of Berber origin.
More definitions of couscousDefinition of couscous in:
- The US English dictionary