Not openly acknowledged or displayed: covert operations against the dictatorship
More example sentences
- It may include dramatic strikes visible on TV, and covert operations, secret even in success.
- This seems to have been the thinking behind the reported covert operation to eliminate the leader in the mid-1990s.
- It's all about covert operations and leaving as little evidence and traces as possible.
secret, furtive, clandestine, surreptitious, stealthy, cloak-and-dagger, hole-and-corner, hole-in-the-corner, closet, behind-the-scenes, backstairs, back-alley, under-the-table, hugger-mugger, concealed, hidden, private;
sly, sneaky, underhand;
1A thicket in which game can hide.
- I couldn't help but admire the beautifully laid out game crops and newly-planted coverts.
- So hunts moved into direct land management, buying and planting small pieces of rough scrub as coverts.
- Landowners who did not hunt were still expected to plant and maintain gorse coverts.
2 Ornithology A feather covering the base of a main flight or tail feather of a bird.
- The flight feathers are black, and the upper tail coverts and rump area are cobalt blue.
- The name of these birds comes from the vivid red coloring of the wing coverts.
- The bird was black above with a white eyebrow and limited white on the wing coverts.
3 rare A flock of coots: it is a good omen when a covert of coots have taken to any particular locality
More example sentences
- When we reached this place the smew had joined a covert of coots.
- Large coverts of coots frequent the open waters.
- A covert of coots floats among the posts.
- Example sentences
- It will be an action which would use our strengths, which are intelligence, covertness, the ability to strike quickly and surgically.
- At one time, journalistic ethics did not admit of such covertness.
- ‘This is kind of weird meeting like this,’ I said as I looked around the room referring to the covertness.
Middle English (in the general senses 'covered' and 'a cover'): from Old French, 'covered', past participle of covrir (see cover).
Words that rhyme with covertlovat
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.