Not openly acknowledged or displayed: covert operations against the dictatorship
More example sentences
- It may include dramatic strikes visible on TV, and covert operations, secret even in success.
- This seems to have been the thinking behind the reported covert operation to eliminate the leader in the mid-1990s.
- It's all about covert operations and leaving as little evidence and traces as possible.
secret, furtive, clandestine, surreptitious, stealthy, cloak-and-dagger, hole-and-corner, hole-in-the-corner, closet, behind-the-scenes, backstairs, back-alley, under-the-table, hugger-mugger, concealed, hidden, private;
sly, sneaky, underhand;
1A thicket in which game can hide.
- I couldn't help but admire the beautifully laid out game crops and newly-planted coverts.
- So hunts moved into direct land management, buying and planting small pieces of rough scrub as coverts.
- Landowners who did not hunt were still expected to plant and maintain gorse coverts.
2 Ornithology A feather covering the base of a main flight or tail feather of a bird.
- The flight feathers are black, and the upper tail coverts and rump area are cobalt blue.
- The name of these birds comes from the vivid red coloring of the wing coverts.
- The bird was black above with a white eyebrow and limited white on the wing coverts.
3 rare A flock of coots: it is a good omen when a covert of coots have taken to any particular locality
More example sentences
- When we reached this place the smew had joined a covert of coots.
- Large coverts of coots frequent the open waters.
- A covert of coots floats among the posts.
- Example sentences
- It will be an action which would use our strengths, which are intelligence, covertness, the ability to strike quickly and surgically.
- At one time, journalistic ethics did not admit of such covertness.
- ‘This is kind of weird meeting like this,’ I said as I looked around the room referring to the covertness.
Middle English (in the general senses 'covered' and 'a cover'): from Old French, 'covered', past participle of covrir (see cover).
Words that rhyme with covertlovat
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: cov¦ert
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.