Definition of covey in English:
noun (plural coveys)
1A small flock of birds, especially partridge.
- Instead of holding individual territories, both species form coveys, which are flocks of 4-6 fused family groups.
- In two days, I walked past staunch points into approximately 70 coveys of wild birds.
- In non-breeding seasons, Northern Bobwhites congregate in coveys of up to 20 birds.
1.1A small group of people or things: coveys of actors rushed through the rooms
More example sentences
- At least they were on time; he spotted a covey of white uniforms clustered around the guards, signing in.
- President Reagan's lack of interest in the details might be fine fun for the coveys of arms control quails.
- The working stiff is not a white-collar writer rubbing elbows with a covey of billionaires.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan