Definition of coxswain in English:
1The person who steers a ship’s boat, racing boat, or other boat.
- Three heats with the top three boats qualifying for the final left it up to the coxswains to call the race plan.
- As coxswain, I would steer, control the pace, and act as the eyes of the oarsmen, who were facing backward.
- The coxswain is fitted snugly into the bow end of the boat steering and motivating the crew.
1.1The helmsman and skipper of a lifeboat.
- Lifeboat coxswain Gary Edwards praised the crew for their heroic work.
- Former lifeboat coxswain Roland Stork was awarded the MBE for his services to the Royal National Lifeboat Institution.
- The coxswain of the lifeboat said: ‘It started out as a basic tow job, but ended up as a full-scale rescue.’
Words that rhyme with coxswainoxen
Definition of coxswain in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan