noun (plural crèmes brûlées pronunc. same or crème brûlées /-ˈleɪz/)[mass noun]
- A dessert of custard topped with caramelized sugar.More example sentences
- The caramel topping in desserts such as crème brûlée is made by exposing a layer of sugar on the surface to direct heat, e.g. under a grill.
- The dessert menu, meanwhile, goes straight for the sugar rush with creations such as toffee-crisp crème brûlée and strawberry banoffee pie.
- To cap off the meal, try the resto's crème brûlée for dessert, a crispy caramelized crust that yields a fluffy, delicious filling when shattered.
French, literally 'burnt cream'.
More definitions of crème brûléeDefinition of crème brûlée in:
- The US English dictionary