Definition of craniate in English:
An animal that possesses a skull. Compare with vertebrate.
- The immediate outgroup of craniates, the Cephalochordata, show strong asymmetry during development.
- Thus, there exist two competing theories about the interrelationships of craniates, i.e., animals with a skull.
- Unfortunately, there are few quantitative data on the relative sizes of major brain divisions in most craniates.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the craniates.
- How can changes in an ancestral ontogeny be reconstructed, since the ancestors of most craniate radiations are extinct?
- The relationships between hagfishes, lampreys, and jawed vertebrates are one of the still-unresolved problems in craniate phylogeny.
- After the publication of the first computer-generated phylogenies of the major craniate groups, the discussion has become quite difficult.
Definition of craniate in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan