Definition of crank call in English:
A telephone call made to disturb, annoy, or trick someone, often anonymously: she had been getting a lot of crank calls and so she wasn’t answering her phone an anonymous telephone warning was discounted as a crank call by Special Branch
More example sentences
- When your dad's a minister, and advertised in the phone book as a minister, you're likely to get at least some crank calls.
- Out of nowhere I was getting daily crank calls, I was beat up at recess, I was picked on and name-called daily, and I didn't have a friend to talk to.
- "There are very few calls that could be categorised as crank calls and nutters," Dorothy said, adding the majority of people truly believe they have seen a Tasmanian Tiger.
crank caller noun
- Example sentences
- Earlier this year Hampshire Ambulance Service launched its own crackdown on crank callers after revealing they spent £3.7m answering unnecessary call-outs, including some from people who just wanted a lift home.
- It doesn't happen often enough that I'd suspect some crank callers, but it irritates me to death because once I've gotten up I have difficulty getting back to sleep again.
- An officer nearby said the whole thing was a hoax, a crank caller pranking 911.
Definition of crank call in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.