noun (plural crappies)
A North American freshwater fish of the sunfish family, the male of which builds a nest and guards the eggs and young.
- Genus Pomoxis, family Centrarchidae: several species, including the white crappie (P. annularis)
More example sentences
- It is during schooling when the male crappie sweeps out the nests and attracts the female.
- The typical crappie has a large mouth with thin jaw tissue and tends to be a soft, even tentative striker.
- The lake is well stocked with trout, large and small mouth bass, blue gill, crappie, and catfish.
mid 19th century: of unknown origin.
Definition of crappie in:
- The US English dictionary