- As a result, the ground is littered with craters from asteroid impacts.
- The blast left an enormous crater, and the impact tunneled really deep.
- The oddest thing is that the missiles, while being tremendously destructive of human life, left quite small craters in the ground.
- Other ephemeral lakes develop in volcanic craters or collapsed caldera systems.
- Vesuvius is a stratovolcano that grew within the breached crater of Monte Somma volcano.
- During the last several days smoke, ash and vapor have been spewing from the crater of the volcano in western Colima state.
- The goopy surface is pocked with craters where bubbles burst.
- First, acid etching of the electrode surfaces produces tiny cavities and craters that greatly expand the surface area across which a static charge can be held.
- Microscopic bumps and craters on the painted surface tend to attract and contain dirt.
- There were marble craters (mixing bowls) and candelabra, statuary, busts, reliefs, column capitals and bases, and 60 to 70 marble column shafts.
- To judge from the scenes of drinking painted on Greek vessels, the crater stood on the floor beside the couches on which the drinkers reclined.
- He gestured at the Greeks, who produced a crater and a pair of silver goblets.
verb[with object] Back to top
- We saw places along the shoreline where the ground was cratered, trees flung aside in broken rows.
- The first hundred yards of the tunnel were the worst - the road was heavily cratered, and our vehicles bucked and shuddered wildly, spraying snowmelt into the blackness.
- The heavily cratered surface seems different from other comets we've seen up close.
The Greeks and Romans preferred to drink their wine mixed with water, and thought it very uncivilized to drink it neat. They would mix their wine in a large wide-mouthed bowl called in Greek a kratēr and in Latin a crater. English adopted this word as the term for the bowl-shaped hollow that forms the mouth of a volcano.
Words that rhyme with cratercater, creator, curator, data, debater, delator, dumbwaiter, equator, fascinator, freighter, frustrater, gaiter, grater, gyrator, hater, later, legator, mater, negator, pater, peseta, plater, rotator, skater, slater, stater, tater, traitor, ultimata, understater, upstater, waiter
Definition of crater in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.