Definition of craton in English:
A large stable block of the earth’s crust forming the nucleus of a continent.
- Mobile belts of various ages seem to have stitched Africa's Archean cratons together by Himalayan-style continental collisions.
- Much of the craton remained stable up to Triassic time, with sedimentary sequences dominated by shallow-water and subaerial sediments.
- Many workers have interpreted the Zimbabwe craton as vertically accreted crust.
1930s: alteration of kratogen in the same sense, from Greek kratos 'strength'.
- Example sentences
- Finally, small, intraplate events not obviously linked to a cratonic boundary are categorized as ‘hotspots’.
- Many other mobile belts of various ages crisscross the African cratonic nuclei - these are all ripe for study.
- The complex defines a series of cratonic fragments related to the collision of the Amazonian and Sao Francisco Cratons.
Definition of craton in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia