Definition of cremate in English:
Dispose of (a dead person’s body) by burning it to ashes, typically after a funeral ceremony: she had refused to have her husband cremated
More example sentences
- Raising a monument to the memory of the deceased at the place where his dead body is cremated is taboo.
- Some great teachers of the past told their students simply to cremate their body and dispose of it, because the body is not important.
- Hindu, Buddhist, Jain and Sikhs cremate their dead.
Late 19th century (as cremation): from Latin cremare 'burn'.
- Example sentences
- The force created by the explosion can be so sudden that the energy cannot escape through the flue passages connected to the cremators and cause damage to the brickwork lining it.
- But they have promised they will take ‘public taste’ into account before any decision is made to redirect the hot air from the cremators into the chapel.
- Not many people know this, but most modern-day cremators are about 30 inches wide, and new furnaces are now being built around 10 inches wider.
Words that rhyme with cremateabate, ablate, aerate, ait, await, backdate, bait, bate, berate, castrate, collate, conflate, crate, create, date, deflate, dictate, dilate, distraite, donate, downstate, eight, elate, equate, estate, fate, fête, fixate, freight, frustrate, gait, gate, gestate, gradate, grate, great, gyrate, hate, hydrate, inflate, innate, interrelate, interstate, irate, Kate, Kuwait, lactate, late, locate, lustrate, mandate, mate, migrate, misdate, misstate, mistranslate, mutate, narrate, negate, notate, orate, ornate, Pate, placate, plate, prate, prorate, prostrate, pulsate, pupate, quadrate, rate, rotate, sate, sedate, serrate, short weight, skate, slate, spate, spectate, spruit, stagnate, state, straight, strait, Tate, tête-à-tête, Thwaite, translate, translocate, transmigrate, truncate, underrate, understate, underweight, update, uprate, upstate, up-to-date, vacate, vibrate, wait, weight
Definition of cremate in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan