A plant of the cabbage family, typically having small white flowers and pungent leaves. Some kinds are edible and are eaten raw as salad.
- Barbarea and other genera, family Cruciferae: several species, including garden cress (used in mustard and cress) and watercress
More example sentences
- Place cress in a salad bowl, top with thinly sliced onion and your favorite French dressing.
- Dress the dandelion and cress with rosemary and mustard dressing.
- My ciabatta was very hot, with lettuce, tomato, cucumber and cress.
Old English cresse, cærse, of West Germanic origin; related to Dutch kers and German Kresse.
Definition of cress in:
- The US English dictionary