(also great crested newt)
- A large Eurasian newt, the male of which has a tall crest along the back and tail during the breeding season. Also called warty newt.
More example sentences
- Triturus cristatus, family Salamandridae
- Great crested newts are Britain's biggest newt and they can grow to 17 cm.
- They hope to do project work with local schools on animals, birds and conservation, and one idea is to establish a colony of rare smooth and crested newts.
- An additional survey is also to be carried out on the land to ensure the protection of some great crested newts, which live in the area.