Definition of cribellum in English:
noun (plural cribella krɪˈbɛlə)Zoology
(In some spiders) an additional spinning organ with numerous fine pores, situated in front of the spinnerets.
- The cribellum is a cigar-shaped plate on the underside of the abdomen, in front of the spinnerets.
- Six spinnerets with different types of spigots and a specialised spinning organ called the cribellum.
- Cribellate silk is combed out from the cribellum using the calamistrum, a group of specialized, curved setae on the metatarsus of the fourth leg.
Late 19th century: from late Latin, diminutive of cribrum 'sieve'.
- Example sentences
- Many of the cribellate species are distinctly arboreal, building their small webs on branch tips.
- Classification of the cribellate spiders and some allied families.
- This month we have something totally different - a cribellate species, Amaurobius similis.
Definition of cribellum in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan