Definition of crier in English:
1An officer who makes public announcements in a court of justice.
- The crier calls out that court will reconvene tomorrow at 10 a.m.
- A call would be made by the public crier, instructing that Armenian males should present themselves at a government building.
- ‘The king has gone blind, and only the blood of the Kaha bird can save him,’ the crier announced.
1.1 short for town crier.
- Mr Collier, who was one of the first five criers to perform, said: ‘This was my first real big championships.’
- Instead of getting their information from the crier, the citizens would huddle around a piece of paper to have someone read it to them.
- As well as taking part in the official contest, the criers spent both days helping guide visitors around Haworth.
late Middle English: from Old French criere, from crier 'to shout'.