- A form of silica which is the main component of opal and also occurs as small octahedral crystals.More example sentences
- Analyses of some samples of the dense grey rimstone sinter showed weak reflections, indicating the possible presence of cristobalite.
- The conversion of feldspar to cristobalite involves the removal of water.
- Look up cristobalite in the textbook and describe a likely environment for the formation of this sample.
late 19th century: named after Cerro San Cristóbal in Mexico, where it was discovered, + -ite1.
More definitions of cristobaliteDefinition of cristobalite in:
- The US English dictionary