noun[mass noun] Physics
- Damping just sufficient to prevent oscillations.More example sentences
- The seismic loading was taken from response spectra tailored to the site that assumed 5 percent critical damping.
- The ratio B of the actual damping to critical damping essentially determines the shape of the response.
- The problem with critical damping is that the maximum is only about 36% of the response for an undamped geophone.
More definitions of critical dampingDefinition of critical damping in:
- The US English dictionary