- Tears or expressions of sorrow that are insincere: they weep crocodile tears for the poor and disadvantaged, but are basically happy with things as they areMore example sentences
- Some people thought his tears were crocodile tears.
- As the coffin is carried inside for the tear-jerking ceremony, Hillman weeps crocodile tears and tells Emily: ‘I am so sorry about this terrible news’, then guides her into church.
- There were tears there but I thought they were crocodile tears.
mid 16th century: said to be so named from a belief that crocodiles wept while devouring or luring their prey.
More definitions of crocodile tearsDefinition of crocodile tears in:
- The US English dictionary