- A rare bright orange mineral consisting of lead chromate.More example sentences
- Next you will encounter lustrous orange crystals of crocoite from the Ural Mountains.
- In March they went to the regular dumps of the Argent Lead and Silver mine for vanadinite, pyromorphite, and crocoite and then moved to the slag dumps, on which were found linarite, anglesite, leadhillite, lanarkite, and gypsum.
- This field trip featured stops at a dozen diverse collecting locales, including the famous Adelaide and Red Lead crocoite mines near Dundas.
mid 19th century: originally as French crocoise, from Greek krokoeis 'saffron-coloured', from krokos 'crocus'. The spelling was altered to crocoisite, then crocoite.
More definitions of crocoiteDefinition of crocoite in:
- The US English dictionary