noun[mass noun] British
- The practice or system of farming in crofts: [as modifier]: a crofting communityMore example sentences
- He points out that crofting was a system devised by landlords themselves, and that up until 1820 it was almost a matter of pride as well as commercial sense to keep as many of crofters on the land as possible.
- A Scottish Agricultural College survey into crofting has shown that holdings are only able to continue with income from sources other than agriculture.
- The entire agricultural output of crofting could be fitted comfortably into a handful of large east coast farms.
More definitions of croftingDefinition of crofting in:
- The US English dictionary