Definition of cropper in English:
1A plant which yields a specified crop: the white-fleshed varieties are the heaviest croppers
More example sentences
- When buying seeds to grow yourself, choose early and late croppers so that you extend the season.
- He also knew that the Inca potato, unlike modern varieties, was not a good cropper.
- It is a good, regular cropper but never produces a particularly heavy crop.
2A machine or person that cuts or trims something.
- Bolt croppers, a sledge hammer and mobile phones were thrown from a Ford Mondeo at chasing police cars.
- ‘Last Friday, between 1pm and 3pm, two garages were broken into by thieves who used bolt croppers.’
- He said that travellers had used bolt croppers on the chains securing the gate to gain access to the land.
3chiefly US A person who raises a crop, especially as a sharecropper.
- Census data shows that more croppers were black than white, but economic and agricultural conditions in the Depression caused a great many white farmers to become tenants or croppers.
- I also got the trade of the farmers, the croppers and the hands from the outlying country.
- Their analogy between slavery and sharecropping provides a specialized instance of the objectification of croppers in the book.
- 1 British informal
- Fall heavily: he came the most appalling cropper—I think he knocked himself outMore example sentences
- True, he has, at times, come a cropper over fences but he had no difficulty handling the jumping last year.
- To-date motorists unlucky enough to have come a cropper on the spillages have, at least, survived the experience.
- The day before he should have been in London to pick up an award for his stunning pile-up picture of cyclists coming a cropper in the Sydney Olympics.
- 1.1Suffer a defeat or disaster: the club’s challenge for the championship has come a cropperMore example sentences
- Having excelled at the Commonwealth championship, the women came a cropper in Canada, failing to win a single medal.
- Some apple and kiwfruit growers are facing big income drops this year as marketers have come a cropper in Europe and America.
- Then he will increase the bet and while lucky sometimes, he's come a cropper lately.
Words that rhyme with cropperbopper, copper, Dopper, dropper, hopper, improper, Joppa, poppa, popper, proper, shopper, stopper, swapper, topper, whopper
Definition of cropper in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.