Definition of cross-grained in English:
1(Of timber) having a grain that runs across the regular grain.
- Complementing the bookmatched crotch mahogany veneers of the panels and drawer faces are the cross-grained rosewood facings of the finial plinth, doorframes, and drawer banding.
- The lower portions of the bookcase doors have panels of crotch mahogany set within cross-grained and mitred satinwood surrounds.
- The drawer openings were defined by cross-grained half-round moldings glued directly to the case.
2Stubbornly contrary or bad-tempered: Bruce was a cross-grained and boastful individual
More example sentences
- One can see that his colleagues must have regarded him as a cross-grained old curmudgeon.
- How should you like it if any cross-grained brute should call you Mr M the moment he chose to be uncivil?
- The reaction in the Scottish Parliament this week said a lot about our MSPs and their cross-grained views.
awkward, difficult, uncooperative, perverse, contrary, unhelpful, obstructive, disobliging, unaccommodating, unreasonable, troublesome, tiresome, annoying, vexatious, disobedient, recalcitrant, refractory, wilful, headstrong, self-willed, capricious, wayward;
North American informal balky
rare renitent, pervicacious, contrarious