Definition of cross-grained in English:
1(Of timber) having a grain that runs across the regular grain.
- Complementing the bookmatched crotch mahogany veneers of the panels and drawer faces are the cross-grained rosewood facings of the finial plinth, doorframes, and drawer banding.
- The lower portions of the bookcase doors have panels of crotch mahogany set within cross-grained and mitred satinwood surrounds.
- The drawer openings were defined by cross-grained half-round moldings glued directly to the case.
2Stubbornly contrary or bad-tempered: Bruce was a cross-grained and boastful individual
More example sentences
- One can see that his colleagues must have regarded him as a cross-grained old curmudgeon.
- How should you like it if any cross-grained brute should call you Mr M the moment he chose to be uncivil?
- The reaction in the Scottish Parliament this week said a lot about our MSPs and their cross-grained views.
awkward, difficult, uncooperative, perverse, contrary, unhelpful, obstructive, disobliging, unaccommodating, unreasonable, troublesome, tiresome, annoying, vexatious, disobedient, recalcitrant, refractory, wilful, headstrong, self-willed, capricious, wayward;
North American informal balky
rare renitent, pervicacious, contrarious
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan