Definition of crossbar in English:
1The horizontal bar between the two upright posts of a goal in football, rugby, hockey, etc.
- His goalbound effort into a gaping goal struck the crossbar and rebounded to safety.
- After the upright and then the crossbar denied them a goal, he clicked into top gear.
- To score you must put the ball over the crossbar for a point or under the crossbar for a goal, worth three points.
2The horizontal metal bar between the handlebars and saddle on a man’s or boy’s bicycle.
- Over the years her customers included Free French sailors, a poacher who kept a 12-bore tied to his bicycle crossbar, the writer John Wyndham and a dog that smoked a pipe.
- The bike still includes a back rest and chrome seat loop, with only the gearshift altered, moving from the crossbar to the handlebars for safety reasons.
- Parents sometimes add rear-mounted child seats and/or an auxiliary saddle fitted to the crossbar to transport children.
Words that rhyme with crossbarZanzibar • sidebar
Definition of crossbar in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.