Definition of crossbar in English:
1The horizontal bar between the two upright posts of a goal in football, rugby, hockey, etc.
- His goalbound effort into a gaping goal struck the crossbar and rebounded to safety.
- After the upright and then the crossbar denied them a goal, he clicked into top gear.
- To score you must put the ball over the crossbar for a point or under the crossbar for a goal, worth three points.
2The horizontal metal bar between the handlebars and saddle on a man’s or boy’s bicycle.
- Over the years her customers included Free French sailors, a poacher who kept a 12-bore tied to his bicycle crossbar, the writer John Wyndham and a dog that smoked a pipe.
- The bike still includes a back rest and chrome seat loop, with only the gearshift altered, moving from the crossbar to the handlebars for safety reasons.
- Parents sometimes add rear-mounted child seats and/or an auxiliary saddle fitted to the crossbar to transport children.
Definition of crossbar in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia