Definition of crossbow in English:
A medieval bow of a kind that is fixed across a wooden support and has a groove for the bolt and a mechanism for drawing and releasing the string.
- The movie features many different races using many different types of longbows and crossbows in warfare.
- They used the cars for cover, effectively avoiding the badly-aimed wooden bolts of crossbows.
- It houses thousands of weapons, including guns and ammunition, knives, knuckledusters, coshes, crossbows and swords.
crossbowman noun (plural crossbowmen)
- Example sentences
- He quickly formed his army up to meet an attack, but his crossbowmen were still on the other side of the river.
- The crusaders consisted mainly of knights and some crossbowmen.
- Dozens of sentries and crossbowmen kept watch on the battlements, and mounted cavalry patrolled the keep walls and the surrounding area.
Words that rhyme with crossbowlongbow • oxbow
Definition of crossbow in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan