Test the compatibility of (a donor’s and a recipient’s blood or tissue): (as noun crossmatching) after careful crossmatching, blood was administered over a period of 10 to 15 minutes
More example sentences
- The physician orders a unit of red blood cells to be crossmatched for a transfusion later that day.
- This is relevant for junior medical staff taking samples for blood grouping and crossmatching.
- The patient's blood is grouped and crossmatched.
An instance of crossmatching.
- The patient was transfused following a biologic crossmatch in an attempt to maintain hemoglobin and hematocrit levels.
- Since the crossmatch uses the patient's serum, which may lack potency, donors who are weakly positive for the antigen may be mistakenly called compatible.
- Repeated pretransfusion and posttransfusion crossmatches were also performed.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: cross|match
Definition of crossmatch in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.