Definition of croton in English:
1A strong-scented tree, shrub, or herbaceous plant of the spurge family, native to tropical and warm regions. Several kinds yield timber and other commercially important products.
- Genus Croton, family Euphorbiaceae: numerous species, including C. laccifer, the host plant for the lac insect
- Many of his imports - including hibiscus, azalea, cassia, magnolia, oleander, croton and jasmine - permanently altered the Jamaican scene.
- It belongs to the very large Euphorbia family along with other popular ornamental plants such as poinsettias and crotons.
- Feathers, flowers, and the leaves of croton plants were used to decorate women's hair, and were also placed in arm-bands (worn on the upper arms).
2A small evergreen tree or shrub of the Indo-Pacific region, which is grown for its colourful ornamental foliage.
- Genus Codiaeum, family Euphorbiaceae: several species
- Shrubs don't have to flower to be interesting - team palms with cordylines and crotons for their fabulous foliage.
- To add more colour to the city, the Chief Minister has also suggested that the civic agency could grow crotons on road medians.
- Pisonia has large leaves and could be said to look similar to crotons except without the yellow and red colours.
Definition of croton in:
- US English dictionary