- A piece of toasted bread on which savoury snacks can be served. See also en croute.More example sentences
- My starter of ‘wafer-thin slices of Tombuie-smoked venison, complemented with a delicious fruit chutney made with Miller's gin, served on a croute of crisp golden toast ’, had one of the menu's terser descriptions.
- Mark started with the duck and goose liver parfait with crème fraîche, croutes and red onion chutney, while Alisdair and I plumped for the deep-fried haggis and potato gâteau with spinach, feta cheese and orange butter sauce.
- For the croutes, preheat the oven to 200c / 400f/gas 6.
French croûte (see crust).
More definitions of crouteDefinition of croute in:
- The US English dictionary