- A small piece of fried or toasted bread served with soup or used as a garnish.More example sentences
- We had them fried in bacon fat the other night, with some garlic croutons and pancetta piled on top of some soft, green chicory leaves.
- The garlic soup was creamy and well flavoured, not too heavy or too light, though the croutons (pieces of toast) arrived several minutes late.
- Garnishing the soup with croutons and/or Parmesan cheese is a must.
from French croûton, from croûte (see crust).
More definitions of croutonDefinition of crouton in:
- The US English dictionary