Definition of crowberry in English:
noun (plural crowberries)
1A creeping heather-like dwarf shrub with small leaves and black berries, growing on moorland.
- Empetrum nigrum, family Empetraceae
- Wet meadows have abundant grasses, sedges, and rushes, while low-growing shrubs include black crowberry, mountain cranberry, shrubby cinquefoil, and three dwarf willows.
- Rarest and most unexpected of those are broom crowberry, a wiry shrub with crowded, quarter-inch-long leaves and black berries, and curly grass, a fern that has small curly leaves that look like immature grass.
- It comprised mostly subalpine ground with tallish heather, blaeberry, and crowberry, with some patches of short heath.
1.1The edible but flavourless black berry of the crowberry.
- The blaeberries, crowberries, elderberries and stinging nettles, along with the more than 30 types of fungi which he finds in the forest, find their way onto his menu.
- American Indians of the north-west and Alaska used to gather crowberries for winter food, preserving them by drying or, in Alaska, by placing them with other berries in seal oil.
Words that rhyme with crowberrysnowberry
Definition of crowberry in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan