- An African crane with a yellowish bristly crest, a mainly black or dark grey body, much white on the wings, and pink and white cheeks.
More example sentences
- Genus Balearica, family Gruidae: two species, in particular the (black) crowned crane (B. pavonina)
- It houses over 50 individual birds made up of 12 different species including the sacred ibis, crowned cranes, hammerkop, white-cheeked touraco and lilac breasted roller.
- We came across approximately 150 gray crowned cranes - Uganda's national bird - feeding in pastures.
- In separate marsh habitats there are cranes too, the crowned crane from Africa, the Manchurian crane from the Orient and our own Sarus.
More definitions of crowned craneDefinition of crowned crane in:
- The US English dictionary