noun (plural crus pronunc. same)
- (In France) a vineyard or group of vineyards, especially one of recognized superior quality: the newest of the Beaujolais crus See also grand cru, premier cru.More example sentences
- Inert vats have no effect on the taste of Chablis and allow the wine to express the terroir of a particular cru, without any external influence.
- It's a dandy little red wine that may remind you of a cru Beaujolais, but a bit spicier.
- The categories were then ranked by a simple, numerically descending scale, first to fifth, called premier cru, deuxième cru, etc, each defined by, or defining, the price paid for them by the Bordeaux wine trade.
French, from crû, literally 'growth', past participle of croître.
More definitions of cruDefinition of cru in:
- The US English dictionary