Definition of cruciform in English:
1Having the shape of a cross: a cruciform sword
More example sentences
- There is also an early version of the passage-tomb, in a cruciform shape, it's one of the largest surviving monuments of the Carrowmore cemetery.
- The building inside was redesigned into its true cruciform shape.
- Chalcolithic stone figures take a cruciform shape from the outstretched arms or from a second figure at right angles to the first.
1.1(Of a church) having a cross-shaped plan with a nave and transepts.
- The depiction in 1648 still reflects the medieval cruciform plan of the church, with a prominent tower (replaced in the 18th century) at the centre.
- Within Tisbury itself is its cruciform church, C12 with C14 and C15 additions.
- The church's presence on a major suburban road is prominent, not for a spire, steeple or traditional cruciform design, but for its textured walls in contrasting tan and blonde brick.
nounBack to top
A thing shaped like a cross.
- The results suggest that long inverted repeats can form hairpins or cruciforms when they are located within a region of the helix backbone that is intrinsically curved, leading to large mobility anomalies in polyacrylamide gels.
- Flutists are asked to sing through their instruments, pianists are asked to whistle and moan, and instrumental scores are visually twisted into circles or cruciforms.
- These are arranged in a double cruciform, four apartments radiating from each staircase, which ingeniously receives borrowed daylight from two diagonally opposite corners, the other two corners containing service lifts.
Mid 17th century: from Latin crux, cruc- 'cross' + -iform.
Words that rhyme with cruciformvariform • vitriform
Definition of cruciform in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan