Entry from US English dictionary
Definition of crush space in English:
1Space in a motor vehicle between occupants and a point of impact that can absorb some of the shock of collision.
- But at Volvo, nothing is more sacred than human occupants, so powertrains are freely modified to add crush space or reduce cabin intrusion.
- Even if they could have shoehorned a conventional V - 8 into the engine compartment, it wouldn't leave enough crush space to absorb energy in a crash.
- In safety terms, that means plenty of "crush space," which softens the impact.
2Space in the common area of a performance venue that can accommodate the largest crowd expected.
- At the front of house, the scope of work planned includes: Reconfiguration of the Tay Street entrance to increase the crush space in the foyers.
- In the "crush space," a principal meeting place for students and faculty, full-height south-facing windows provide passive heating in winter.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.