1chiefly Biochemistry A substance precipitated from a solution, especially from the blood, at low temperatures.
- The chamber was squeezed to speed up the flow of fluid and some of the cryoprecipitate must have leaked back into the bag of Hartmann's.
- A clinical laboratory scientist is pooling six units of cryoprecipitate for a patient.
- Currently, cryoprecipitate is the only source of concentrated fibrinogen available.
1.1 [mass noun] Medicine An extract rich in a blood-clotting factor obtained as a residue when frozen blood plasma is thawed.
- Many are dependent on unsafe blood products such as frozen plasma, cryoprecipitate and whole blood making themselves susceptible to viral infections.
- Blood products like fresh blood, plasma or cryoprecipitate can be used.
- Type A blood has more cryoprecipitate which blood banks want.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: cryo|pre¦cipi|tate
Definition of cryoprecipitate in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.