Definition of cryostat in English:
1An apparatus for maintaining a very low temperature.
- Temperature was controlled by a gold-chromel thermocouple at the base of the cryostat and monitored with an identical thermocouple immersed directly in the sample (approximately 3 mm above the illuminated volume) during measurement.
- The sample was then mounted in a cryostat and cooled down rapidly.
- The spectrometer was modified to incorporate an Oxford cryostat at the sample compartment.
2A cold chamber in which frozen tissue is divided with a microtome: [as modifier]: cryostat sections about 5μm thick
More example sentences
- Heads and bodies of wild-type flies were cut into 12-m sections using a cryostat and hybridized with the relevant probe.
- A post-doc was working on a cryostat, cutting microscopically thin sections of tissue.
- Smooth muscle area was determined in 8-m-thick cryostat lung sections.
Definition of cryostat in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan