Definition of cryptococcosis in English:
noun[mass noun] Medicine
Infestation with a yeast-like fungus, resulting in tumours in the lungs and sometimes spreading to the brain. It occurs chiefly in the United States. Also called torulosis.
- Other fungal infections to consider include cryptococcosis, blastomycosis, histoplasmosis, coccidioidomycosis and sporotrichosis.
- A similar phenomenon is seen with other infections, such as leprosy, leishmaniasis, and fungal diseases including cryptococcosis and sporotrichosis.
- No acid-fast staining was seen in cases of cryptococcosis or candidiasis.
- Example sentences
- Rarer conditions include aspergillosis (a serious lung infection) and cryptococcal meningitis (infection causing swelling in the brain, which can be life threatening).
- Pathological examination of the brain in cryptococcal meningitis typically shows mucinous exudates covering the superolateral aspect of the brain, unlike the basal exudates of tuberculous arachnoiditis.
- The patient's condition deteriorated; he had periods of altered mental status, went into a coma, and died on day 17 of his admission because of cryptococcal meningitis and fungemia.
Definition of cryptococcosis in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan