Definition of crystalloid in English:
Resembling a crystal in shape or structure.
- The crystalloid structures on occasion closely resembled or were remarkably similar to prostate crystalloids.
- Alternatively, the crystalloid structures could be in the process of degradation within the lysosomes.
- The majority of tumor cells displayed large, eosinophilic, rod-shaped crystalloid structures within their cytoplasm, easily visible on hematoxylin-eosin stain by light microscopy.
nounBack to top
2 Chemistry A substance that, when dissolved, forms a true solution rather than a colloid and is able to pass through a semipermeable membrane.
- Larger scale studies may be needed if important clinical differences between colloids and crystalloids are to be found (including the possibility that dextran may worsen bleeding complications).
- Resuscitation is mainly with crystalloids, but colloids may be required to restore circulating volume.
- The choice of fluid to use for resuscitation varies widely, with some centers preferring crystalloid solutions while others use albumin or other colloid solutions.
Definition of crystalloid in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan