- (Of fish scales) having many tiny projections on the edge like the teeth of a comb, as in many bony fishes. Compare with ganoid and placoid.More example sentences
- The body is covered with small ctenoid scales that extend well onto the dorsal and anal fins.
- Its scales are ctenoid, and it has no preorbital scales.
- E. llajara differs from E. lanceolatus in having ctenoid scales on the sides of the body, and small black spots on the head and dorsal part of the body.
mid 19th century: from Greek kteis, kten- 'comb' + -oid.
More definitions of ctenoidDefinition of ctenoid in:
- The US English dictionary