An early 20th-century style and movement in art, especially painting, in which perspective with a single viewpoint was abandoned and use was made of simple geometric shapes, interlocking planes, and, later, collage.
More example sentences
- The early analytic cubism of Pablo Picasso and Georges Braque sought to capture the essence of subjects in ‘simultaneous vision’ by eliminating point of view, distance and lighting.
- Analytical cubism is generally considered the early phase of cubism.
- By ‘Egyptian style’ Rousseau meant the elements of African tribal art that Picasso and other artists had assimilated when they developed the art movement known as cubism.
cubist noun& adjective
- More example sentences
- With the arrogant humility of an important young artist, he schooled himself in the most advanced art of his time - notably the work of Picasso and the cubists.
- The French cubist painter Georges Braque once said that art is made to disturb, while science reassures.
- The museum, featuring the works of artists like Matisse and Picasso, holds one of the largest collections of cubist, surrealist and abstract art.
Definition of cubism in:
- The US English dictionary